COURSE TITLE : FOOD INNOVATION AND DESIGN
COURESE CODE : HCD 2304
SECTION : 4
NAME : MOHD NAIM BIN MISNAN
MUHAMMAD DARUSSALAAM BIN ROSLAN
MUHAMMAD HANIF BIN ZAILANI
MOHD ZHAFIR ARBAIN BIN UMOR ARBAIN
ZAIMAH BINTI AB MAJID
LECTURE NAME:CHEF ZAID BIN ABDUL RAZAK
Thanks to ALLAH for giving us strengths Here we would like to thank the Chef Zaid Bin Abdul Razak as much guidance and provide advice to my group. Thank also to our group members for spending lot of time to done this task. And no to forget to our family members that always supporting us from behind.
We really satisfy with our product after done a several test. To the advisor, you are such a superb lecturer and never give up with student attitude that not to disciplines.
Milk is a white liquid produced by the mammary glands of mammals. It provides the primary source of nutrition for young mammals before they are able to digest other types of food. The early lactation milk is known as colostrums, and carries the mother's antibodies to the baby. It can reduce the risk of many diseases in the baby. The exact components of raw milk vary by species, but it contains significant amounts of saturated fat, protein and calcium as well as vitamin C. Cow's milk has a pH ranging from 6.4 to 6.8, making it slightly acidic.
Types of milk
Pasteurization is a process of heating a food, usually liquid, to a specific temperature for a definite length of time, and then cooling it immediately. There are three types of milk pasteurization which are normal pasteurization, ultra-pasteurization, and ultra heat-pasteurization which differ in its temperature.
2) Fresh milk
Fresh milk comes from the animals such as cow, buffalo, or goat with nothing removed and nothing added. Examples of fresh milk are nonfat milk, low-fat milk, flavored milk, and homogenized milk.
3) Fermented milk
Fermented milk products also known as cultured dairy foods, cultured dairy products, or cultured milk products, are dairy foods that have been fermented with lactic acid bacteria. The fermentation process increases the shelf-life of the product, as well as adds to the taste and improves the digestibility of milk. Examples of fermented milk are sour cream, buttermilk, and yogurt.
1) To make homemade cheese that can be use for cooking or eat at its own.
2) To create and innovate the available product in the market and suitable for all ages.
1) First week
- To know the effect of acidity to the UHT and pasteurized milk.
2) Second week
- Add some herbs to give an aroma and flavor to the cheese.
3) Third week
- Try to use fresh milk to see the texture and effect with the acidity product.
4) Fourth week
- Change the acidity product ( example: using vinegar, citric acid )
5) Fifth week
- Using heavy cream and try to made mascarpone cheese
Firstly, our group members are Mohd Naim, Muhd Hanif, Muhd Darussalaam, Mohd Zhafir Arbain and Zaimah Ab. Majid. Before we start the experiments, five of us has discussed and made a decision for the task has been given by our lecturer Chef Zaid Bin Abdul Razak.
In this assignment, students are required to come out with three ideas for completing the proposal. After we had a discussion we have chosen for innovate the milk, flour, and Malay dessert. Our first idea has been chose by Chef. He said that, let us tries how the homemade cheese will look like.
For this task, we have chosen one group leader to lead our project. In number of five members, all the group members have their own responsibilities for weekly experiments.
- Group leader briefing and let the group members understanding in what we trying to do in this assignment.
- Leader show a demo how the cheese will be done
- Group members still need guide from the way of preparation and assemble the product
- All the sous chef know their responsibilities and do the work smoothly
- We have a discussion with the advisor how the product will be presented for the final exam
- Try make a new product with hope it will be set
- The product has been set after few days
Before Event Day
- All the group members discuss for final presentation with the advisor
- Advisor give ideas how the product should be presented
- On the fourth week, we have come out with the should be look alike for final exam day
- We ask permission from advisor to do our new product one day early
During Event Day
- Advisor give us to make early preparation for the product
- All the group members start to do work with seriously
- Two hours before presentation started, all of our product has set
- One hour before presentation, all group members start to do garnishing on the canapé and tiramisu biscuit
- Few minutes before mini exhibition started all of our product has platted
- Not less than one hour, all the products has finished and we have collected 50 form of comment card
After Event Day
- We has satisfy with the product after five week done the experiments
- Group members satisfy with the comment from the guest
In weekly experiments, we have faced many problems that are challenging our ability as a student. Actually all of the groups members are give up. It is because we cannot get one main product to make the product done (rennet).
After had several discussion with group members and advisor, we continue to make the product but change it to cream cheese instinct of mozzarella cheese.
For cream cheese, we need to change on the flavor of the spices. It is not suit with the canapé. For mascarpone cheese, try to make it more light because it too rich with cream.
In the case of subject matters, students are not 100% understanding about this subject.
This subject are slightly more too food science subject. Student need to read lot and understanding what is innovation and design. Doing some research in internet is must for the student. Not only understanding the subject, but also understanding what the main purpose of innovation the food is, what the effects if the food are not well handled, is the food can be accepted to the outsiders, and last but not list are the product can be market or not.
- 1. Garde Manger by The Culinary Institute of America
- 2. Professional Cooking 6th Edition by Wayne Gisslen
- 3. http://www.youtube.com/videos/how_to_make_homemade_cheese